Monday, November 7, 2011

Review: The Traveler's Telescope by Jodie Brownlee

The Traveler's Telescope by Jodie Brownlee
Publication date: October 2011
Publisher: Brightspark

Summary from Goodreads:
“I hardly think that's a laughing matter,” snapped Mrs Pinkus, bustling past the telescope to the attic door. “You haven't heard the end of this. There are laws against abducting people, you know. And as for this – this – magical paraphernalia,” she said, shaking a finger at the telescope. “It shouldn't be allowed. Not in this neighborhood. Not near my house.” She stared coldly at Granny. “I won't have witches living next door to me.” Granny smiled. “I'm not a witch, Mrs Pinkus; I'm a genie.”

Granny McQuirky uses the traveler's telescope to teleport into another world. While she is away, Ruby's house-proud mother gives the telescope a polish and knocks the settings out. Ruby and her friends try to put it right, but accidentally zap Mrs Pinkus and her poodle into the other world. When they follow to retrieve her, they bring back more than they bargained for unleashing a threat to the genie world. Granny McQuirky is accused of the resulting crimes. If Ruby and her friends don't find the real criminal, Granny will be sentenced to life in a bottle. At every turn, a mysterious enemy threatens Ruby's life.


My thoughts: 
The Traveler's Telescope is an excellent tale of fantasy geared towards upper primary children and above. I really enjoyed this story, even though it is a children's book, and I am most definitely past that age. This is the second book in a series of three. I have not read the first one yet, but it is not necessary to have read it to be able to follow along with the plot in this one. Jodie Brownlee's writing style is easy to read and engaging. I was pulled into the story from the very beginning. The excitement is well paced, and the story progresses smoothly. Descriptions are well done, so that you almost feel as if you can see the colorful settings and fanciful activities. I was easily caught up in the suspense of what was going to happen next, and I found myself feeling excited for Ruby when she receives some good news toward the end. I think this book, and the rest of the series, will be popular among young children (and those who are young at heart).

You can find Jodie Brownlee on her website, Twitter, and Facebook.

A copy of this book was provided by the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs With Pictures from Pinkparis1233
Use Your Imagination Designs